Wisdom tooth pain can affect many people and this may include mild to extreme symptoms. The pain is generally felt at the mouth’s back on the bottom or the top, where wisdom teeth occur. Sometimes, it happens that one tooth can cause pain and at other times, several teeth will hurt at once. As wisdom teeth form in adults only, any kind of pain in this area has different causes in kids and adults.
Wisdom teeth will erupt during your early twenties and late teens and there can be growing pains when they come in that subsides after they have completely formed. When you suffer from wisdom teeth pain after this time, there might be lack of space and wisdom tooth may get impacted.
Impacted wisdom teeth may lead to severe toothache and jaw pain so that you can remove wisdom teeth. An impacted wisdom tooth can cause these dental health problems:
- Tooth decay: You will suffer from extreme pain due to impacted wisdom teeth, and possibly suffer from dental cavities. This is because bacteria may affect the gums around the tooth edge and tooth decay will lead to additional pain.
- Infection: If you suffer from an impacted wisdom tooth, then you might develop an abscess easily. This can be the reason for a tooth infection that spread to other areas of your jaw, mouth and in the body.
- Gum disease: Though you may not see your wisdom teeth as much as others, impacted teeth can cause issues from gum disease. Besides, periodontal disease might be less visible even though the pain is manageable. Gum disease may spread to the remaining part of your mouth.
If you experience wisdom tooth pain due to impacted teeth, then you may need to see an oral surgeon for removing them. When you have wisdom tooth pain as they start erupting, you might lessen the severity of the pain with over-the-counter pain treatments.
Tips to get rid of wisdom toothache
If you have wisdom teeth pain due to impacted tooth, then you will possibly require tooth removal to treat the pain quickly. In the case your wisdom teeth are coming in or you have recently had your wisdom teeth removed, you might experience some pain that may respond to home treatments.
You may try possible methods of pain relief at home with natural home remedies and over-the-counter medications:
- Pain relievers: Taking over-the-counter medications such as – paracetamol and ibuprofen may lessen wisdom tooth pain. In the case you have had removed your wisdom teeth, using pain relievers like ibuprofen can lessen the inflammation when you recover.
- Clove oil: If you are looking for a natural remedy, clove oil or cloves may be a good option. You can find cloves in the kitchens and so, try placing a clove on the area. Another option is purchasing concentrated clove oil to use by putting drops on cotton and then placing it on your tooth.
- Saltwater: Another home remedy is to try saltwater solution and rinse mouth with salt water to get rid of tooth pain. You may dissolve half a teaspoon of salt in warm water, rinse, spit and then repeat the process. You should not swallow saltwater solution.
If you have had surgery to remove wisdom teeth, then your oral surgeon may give pain relief medications as part of your treatment. Make sure you follow the advice of your dentist if you have had wisdom tooth removal surgery and may suggest trying home remedies.
How long can wisdom tooth pain last?
If you have recently performed wisdom tooth removal, then there can be extreme pain. It will typically last for a few days, say almost 2 weeks before all the discomfort usually decreases. It is essential for your dental health to clean remaining teeth carefully, lessen the chances of complications through bacteria.
If your wisdom teeth are erupting, then you might experience wisdom tooth pain till they are completely formed. Use home treatments to help with it. In the case your tooth pain continues, you might have impacted wisdom tooth or another problem. You need to visit a dentist when your pain symptoms become severe.
What you should know about wisdom tooth pain
Wisdom tooth pain is a common dental concern and might resolve by itself when the teeth are coming in. But when you suffer from pain after this period, you may have impacted wisdom tooth that requires surgery for getting pain relief. Use home remedies to treat the pain while you wait for surgery or in the post-surgical period.
Though toothache and jaw pain can eliminate by taking pain relief medications, the most suitable way to ease the pain from wisdom teeth is to continue treatments till they completely form or perform surgery to reduce the pain of impacted teeth.
Thus, book an appointment with the dentist for urgent dental treatment in London and overcome your oral problems.