In the medical world, lung cancer is an alarming situation, affecting millions of people around the globe. Talking about India, a country with a vast population, is found to have a number of lung cancer cases. As lung cancer is the second leading cause of death in men and women, it has become necessary for the country to access important information about lung cancer treatment costs in India and the worthy hospitals offering quality patient treatment as well as care.
The number of lung cancer cases has been increasing in the country over the past few years. While there are multiple reasons for the same, exposure to environmental pollutants, smoke, and air pollution are the significant factors that mainly contribute.
Do you know that according to the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), out of all cancer cases, lung cancer alone contributes to approximately 7 percent of new cases in the country, creating an alarming concern to address this health issue urgently?
Apart from the mental and physical stress the disease brings, the treatment is quite expensive, bringing a financial burden to many families. As the disease progresses, the cost of treatment increases encompassing diagnostic tests, surgical procedures, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, etc. In such scenarios, it becomes important to keep patients and their respective families to be well-informed about the costs related to the treatment, so they can plan and access quality healthcare facilities without any financial constraints.
When it comes to lung cancer treatment, selecting the right medical center that can be a life-changing decision. India is known for its advanced, latest advancements in the field of the medical industry and is home to several well-facilitated hospitals offering world-class oncology care. These healthcare centers have skilled medical personnel and follow a patient-centric approach that increases the chances of a patient’s recovery and well-being.
This article details lung cancer treatment costs in India, providing a precise understanding of financial factors related to the treatment. This article also unveils a curated list of the best hospitals renowned for the best lung cancer treatment outcomes.
What Do You Need To Know About Lung Cancer Treatment Cost?
India is one of the reliable options for patients seeking affordable lung cancer treatment without compromising quality care. The country abodes numerous hospitals and oncology centers administered by skilled doctors and surgeons who are highly trained in treating the disease using various treatment procedures such as surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and immunotherapy.
There are various factors that may influence the entire cost of the treatment, such as the staging, type of treatment required, surgeon’s fees, and type of hospital selected, to mention a few. After considering all these factors, the lung cancer treatment cost in India is still lesser and reasonable than in other countries such as the US, the UK, Australia, etc. The cost of treatment in the country starts from INR 350,000 and can go up to INR 2,400,000.
Medical tourists who prefer to get their lung cancer treatment in India can expect quality treatment and care along with a lesser cost of living and travel fares in India.
What Factors Contribute To The Entire Cost Of Lung Cancer Treatment In India?
Several factors are responsible for affecting the overall cost of the treatment.
- Staging: Lung cancer has four stages, and the treatment depends on the cancer stages. While the early stages of cancer may need less-aggressive therapy, the advanced stage may need more complicated treatments.
- Type of hospital: The cost also depends on the type of hospital chosen, like multi-specialty, single-specialty, or super-specialty, and how well-reputed the hospital is.
- Location: The cost of healthcare services depends on the location of the hospital. The hospitals in metropolitan cities offer expensive healthcare services as compared to the hospitals in small towns or rural areas.
- Type of treatment: As lung cancer has different stages, it requires different types of treatment, such as surgery, chemotherapy, radiation therapy, or immunotherapy. Depending on the severity of the disease, the cost of treatment may vary, affecting the entire cost of the treatment. If cancer has become advanced, then radiation therapy may be beneficial in relieving pain symptoms. If surgery is not an option, then radiation therapy and chemotherapy may be the possible treatment that brings the best possible outcomes.
- Medical Personnel: As the treatment of lung cancer is a complicated procedure; it needs to be treated by a well-skilled team of oncologists. Hence, the fees and experience of the medical team also add up to the cost.
- Surgical procedure: If the staging of cancer requires surgical treatment, then the cost of the surgical procedure also adds up to the entire treatment cost.
- Hospitalization fees: In case of a surgical procedure, the patient needs to be admitted. In such scenarios, the cost of hospitalization and other related expenses also add up.
Apart from the above-mentioned factors, the cost of diagnostic tests and procedures, treatment duration, travel expenses, etc., also add up to the cost. Moreover, the lung cancer treatment cost in India can vary from individual to individual depending on the patient’s condition, cancer staging, and treatment plan. Hence, it needs to be discussed with the medical team to make a well-informed decision.
Which are the best Hospitals in India for Lung Cancer Treatment?
Below we have mentioned some of the best hospitals in India for lung cancer treatment:
Dharmshila Narayana Superspeciality Hospital, New Delhi:
- Established in 1994, it is the first NABH-accredited cancer hospital in India.
- This is one of the leading hospitals in North India that is well-known for managing and treating complex tumors.
Apollo Hospitals, Greams Road, Chennai:
- It was the first NABH-accredited oncology hospital in Chennai and the first hospital to have a proton cancer center in East Asia.
- The institute is well-known for performing some complex surgical procedures such as limb-conserving surgery for treating bone tumors, treatment of lung tumors, liver resection surgery, and laparoscopic surgery, to mention a few.
Fortis Malar Hospital, Chennai:
- The center has a well-equipped oncology department with cutting-edge devices for managing and treating breast, lung, leukemia, lymphomas, etc.
- The department has a well-skilled team of medical oncologists, surgical oncologists, and radiation oncologists.
India has evolved as the most popular medical destination for lung cancer treatment offering affordable and personalized healthcare. The best hospitals in the country offer ultramodern infrastructure and follow a patient-centric approach attracting millions of patients across the world every year. Lastly, the lung cancer treatment cost in India is comparatively lower than in other countries, offering hope to patients burdened with financial constraints for getting treatment done for this disease.